Panera Bread Tomato Soup With Mashed Basil Oil
Panera Bread Soup Recipe Ingredients
* 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, packed
* 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, peeled or 12 roma tomatoes, peeled
* 1 quart water or vegetable stock
* 1/4 cup dry red wine (Burgundy, Merlot, Pinot Grigio or Shiraz are all acceptable)
* 1 loaf country bread, torn into bite-size pieces
Panera Bread Soup Recipe Instructions
1. Mash the basil well with 1/2 cup of the oil and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
3.Cook the garlic, red pepper and oregano just until the garlic begins to sizzle.
4.Crush the tomatoes with your hands over the saucepan, making sure to include all of the juice.
5.Add the water or stock and red wine.
6.Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
8.Stir in the bread and remove from heat.
9.Serve immediately, drizzling the soup generously with the mashed basil oil.
Labels: panera bread soup recipes